Relief Society, which has the responsibility "to look after the spiritual welfare and salvation… of all the female members of the Church, was organized to provide 'relief of the poor, the destitute, the widow, and the orphan, and for the exercise of all benevolent purposes.' This includes 'relief of poverty, relief of illness, relief of doubt, relief of ignorance; relief of all that hinders the joy and progress of woman.' " - Julie B. Beck

Mormon Org & Official Church Website

Friday, October 2, 2009

Ice Cream FHE lesson

A family home evening activity based off of this Boyd K Packer talk.

How to incorporate the ice cream lesson: After a watching the video and having a family discussion on the influence of media on our thoughts and our spirits, serve all a bowl of yummy ice cream. In each bowl place something small but horribly disgusting--a dead spider, a small slug, a dead fly. When the family reels back in horror, comment by saying, "What? There's just a small bad part, can't you eat around it?"

"My kids wouldn't even eat the ice cream after being offered a new clean bowl and new scoops of their favorite ice cream. Despite that, they thought the lesson was great and I've heard them telling their friends about it."

"As a teenager, I saw a trailer for a movie that I really wanted to see. I knew it wasn’t up to the standards I should have, but I still really wanted to go see it. So, I went and asked my dad. I explained that all of my friends had seen it, and that it wasn’t that bad. He just answered “If you feel good about it go ahead.”That’s when I realized I didn’t feel good about it, and I was just trying to get somebody else to tell me it was okay so that I would be off the hook. "

"As a side note... my older son has gone to EFY and loved it. He found the music firesides to be some of the most impactful parts. Recently I was pointing out some of the very fun but very disterbing music on the radio and mentioned that if Satan were to hold an EFY, he would probably use something like that. For some reason, that comment resonated with my son more than previous attempts. He thought about it and really agreed. He said he could vividly visualize such an EFY and it was indeed disturbing."

Have fun with this ice cream lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment